Monday, May 26, 2008

Parkersburg Tornado





Sunday May 25, 08 Southern Butler County (county just north of us) was smacked by a tornado. Parkersburg, a town a mile north of our county, lost the south half of the town. I heard discussion of a F4 or F5, up to a mile or a mile & a half wide. Vicky & I responded for law enforcement & EMTs. When we left 5 were dead, others were real lucky. For those that know P'burg if you come into town on the highway. There were two banks that you could recognize. Houses, businesses, restaurants I couldn't even pick out places I knew. The Kwik Star Convenience Store also go hit. Amazingly there was a gas tanker in the parking lot that was still in one piece.

4 comments:

Chronos said...

I just moved to Charles city, about 3 months ago. People here were freaking out when the sirens went off because of the twister that hit here in 1968. Although we didn't have any confirmed touchdowns, I heard one a few miles away. Our thoughts and prayers are with you in Parkersburg, as the residents of Charles City definitely know what you're going through.

April Acton said...

We live in Gladbrook. Our hearts are with you. When we saw the images on the TV screen, we felt sick. Parkersburg is such a beautiful town! I pray for the injured and families of those who were killed.

Tiffany said...

It's amazing more lives weren't taken.....

DanBee said...

I frequently travel through there on my way from Dows in Franklin County to Waterloo to visit friends. Each time I come through I always stop at the Kwik Star. I have seen plenty of the images from that area and nothing at all is recognizable to me. It is heartbreaking to feel so helpless for all those people. Everything will work out, but for now its just a crazy nightmare. I wish the best.