Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lisa Progress Report

My Best Friend!!

The countdown is on.........Lisa is moving to her own apartment. We begin moving her in on August 29th. It is hard to believe that almost 3 years ago (September 6th, 2005) Lisa moved into Parkview. I can remember that day like it was yesterday. She looked so vulnerable and scared when she arrived, but we made sure that she knew that she was never alone. Over the past 3 years she has gone from a wheelchair to walking with a cane; looking gaunt and under nourished to healthy, and a vocabulary that consisted of "Earnhardt" & "awesome" to putting some sentences together. Communication will always be something to work on, but she manages to get us to understand what she is trying to tell us (most of the time). I am in awe of the determination and drive she has shown to reach her goal of having her own place. She will have a lot of services available to help her once everything kicks in. Until then Val, Robbin, and I are going to help her with her daily needs. Once the services kick in, our role is purely social............LET'S GO DANCING!!!!!!!!

Even though it has been 3 years, there are days when I have to say good-bye and still cry when I have to leave her there. Lisa and I are counting down the days in her book until the move and we get more excited each day. We both realize that without all the hours and hard work Val has put in, this would not be happening so soon. Just want you to know, Val You Rock!!

I will be sure to take lots of pictures and post them. Thanks to everyone who has been there for support in any way over the past 3 years.

Here are a few pictures showing progress over the past 3 years.


First Year Picture

Look gang, no wheelchair!!


Mother's Day Brunch 2008

2 comments:

Andrea Dellit said...

very cool! Be sure to send me her address so I can send her a congrats/welcome home note!

Casey &Val Bonk said...

Thanks Vic for all the words of encouragement. It helps. I know I could not have done all this without you and Robbins help. As we know it is not about us, but Lisa. I am so proud of her and her progress that it is not hard to help her make her goals and progress. As Casey always says, "How can you not help someone who has such a sweet personality." Lisa you are the one that Rocks and has put in the hard work of changing and helping yourself and looking forward and not in the past.
I love you all.