Friday, March 21, 2008

Starting out as a bad year

We were hoping for a good year this year. Hasn't started that way. Uncle Mac passed away after a couple of strokes. Vicky had a couple of fathers of CSRs that work with her, pass away and this week I lost a long time friend and fellow officer. Hardin County Deputy Sheriff Gary Olmstead, whom I've known longer than Vicky. We worked together in Iowa Falls. He an officer, I dispatched. One memory was a late shift, I must have been tired & woke up in the chair with the paper over my head. I got up & looked around & looked outside & saw foot prints by the window. I looked around I couldn't see anything else. I sat back down and heard a noise at the inside half door. I looked and there was Gary looking around the corner. His comment "forget it, he's awake". I found that he and another officer had some rope & were going to tie me up and make the trip outside on the "ramp" where the squad cars were parked. Never fell asleep again on that shift. Gary passed away Monday night of an apparent heart attack. Too young at the age of 56. He was also our firearms instructor, he will be missed greatly. His funeral will be Saturday. I along with another deputy I work with, have the HONOR of being on the Honor Guard for Gary. A long time joke about this name, but you will be missed Fudgie Jr. After 31+ years he had hoped I forgot, but everytime he heard that, he knew I was near. For those that we have lost - Rest in Peace, you've deserve it.

4 comments:

Casey &Val Bonk said...

You're it. Read my blog. Val.

Andrea Dellit said...

Yuck..what a bad start.

So sorry to hear about Gary. I feel like I've met him before...maybe only 1 time that I was old enough to remember...The articles in the paper are a great tribute to his service.

What exactly do you get to do as part of his honor guard?

thinking of you..love, a

Tiffany said...

I'm sorry to hear about your long time friend, Dad. I am comforted knowing that you know have a great guardian angel looking over you.

Love you lots, Tiff

Ken and Vicky said...

It wasn't what I thought that I have seen in the past. This servive was different. Did get to dress up and was part of the 21 gun salute. Now apparently I'm an alternate, incase they need help in our area.